The Skull Chapel in Czermna, near Kudowa Zdrój, Poland.
The chapel was built in 1776 by the Czech priest Wacław Tomaszek. It is the mass grave of people who died during the Thirty Years War (1618–1648), three Silesian Wars in 1740–1763, as well as of people who died because of cholera epidemics, plague, syphilis and hunger. Together with J. Schmidt and grave digger J. Langer, father Tomaszek collected the casualties bones and put them in the chapel within 18 years. Walls of the church are filled with three thousand skulls and also bones of another 21 thousand people interred in the basement. The skulls of people who built the chapel, including father Tomaszek, were placed in the center of the building and on the altar in 1804. Inside are a crucifix and two carvings of angels, one with a Latin inscription that reads “Arise from the Dead” are among the bones.